Growing up in an Italian family, food was always a big part of our gatherings. I learned very early on that food is what makes people/families come together, and also what really makes them feel good. We all have childhood memories of a certain meal or recipe that will always remind us of those early days of our life when we enjoyed comforting food. My families favorite has ALWAYS been pizza.
Pizza Fun Facts
1. Since 1987, October has been officially designated National Pizza Month in the United States.
2. Approximately three billion pizzas are sold in the United States every year, plus an additional one billion frozen pizzas (yuck).
3. Pizza is a $30 billion industry in the United States.
4. Pizzerias represent 17 percent of all U.S. restaurants.
5. Some popular pizza toppings in Japan are squid and Mayo Jaga (mayonaise, potato and bacon).
6. Women are twice as likely as men to order vegetarian toppings on their pizza.
7. About 36 percent of all pizzas contain pepperoni, making it the most popular topping in the United States.
8. The first known pizzeria, Antica Pizzeria, opened in Naples, Italy, in 1738.
9. More pizza is consumed during the week of the Super Bowl than any at other time of the year.
10. On average, each person in the United States eats around 23 pounds of pizza every year.
11. The first pizzeria in the United States was opened by Gennaro Lombardi in 1895 in New York City.
12. Kids ages 3 to 11 prefer pizza over all other food groups for lunch and dinner.